Mixed results for Hawks as C Grade bests Nannup

The Margaret River Hawks Cricket Club would like to hear from any past cricketer or umpire that would be interested in umpiring Saturday afternoon games.

This is a paid position, at $120 per match, and could see you umpire anything from C grade to A grade, Association games and finals.

Cricket within the BMRCA is played in great spirit and umpires are always required. Please get in touch with the Hawks if you are interested.

The Hawks would like to congratulate youngster Harvey Fisher on his debut in C grade. Well done Nemo!

The club would also like to wish young Xavier Thomas a speedy recovery from his accident on Saturday. Get well soon champion!

Another shout out to some special people – curator Neil, and Elle our canteen manager.

You two do a brilliant job down at the Nest and the players really do appreciate what you bring to the Hawks.

The Hawks made the trip to Busselton for the first game of the season against last years premiers at Barnard Park. Hawks chose to bowl first on a well-prepared wicket and in cool conditions.

Wickets were hard to come by and despite some tight bowling from Aaron Thomas, Yobs were in a good position at 3/100 at drinks.

Once again, and in a familiar pattern, we regrouped during the break and came out with a plan.

Crimpy and Macca were thrown the ball, quick over changes and red-hot fielding put pressure on the opposition and reduced their score to 169. A brilliant effort to take 7/69 after drinks.

We donned the pads and went out to bat. Macca and Gareth Edmonds were looking solid before Gareth fell for what was to be one of four LBW decisions for the innings.

At drinks we were 2/68, a little behind the runs but wickets in hand. Unfortunately the wickets fell around a staunch Chris McLean, who continued to deny the opposition.

As the required rate climbed, Holmesy provided a spark with some late hitting but it was not enough and we fell painfully short. Macca continued his good form and received a consecutive man of the match reward.

With continued work and a bit of luck Im sure its not long before the batting side of things clicks and we can back up the super work with the ball and in the field.

A disappointing result but not without some positive points. Its a long season and we are determined to grow and improve.

On a personal note I am so happy with the way our players go about their business in the spirit of the game. – Paul Tognolini

A nice gentle breeze and a bit of warmth greeted the Hawks B grade side at Bovell Park on Saturday in a clash against last years grand finalists YOBS.

With skipper Maurice Shinnick off to Perth it was left to the new bloke Michel Earl to lead the side.

Losing the toss, Hawks were in the field first and it was Taj Thomas and Jordan Standbury who opened the bowling. Standbury struck first with Tom Payne edging to Earl at first slip; 1 for 17.

When Thomas struck to dismiss Logan and Bruse, YOBS were 3 for 18 and looking in a bit of trouble. With the Hawks showing great sportsmanship in allowing Snow to take in excess of five minutes to arrive to the crease, as opposed to the regulated two, he joined Kemp and they put on 42 runs before Garrath Stewart caught Kemp off Matt Jarvis bowling.

Jarvis must have increased his pace in the off season as this ball cannoned into Stewarts hands and split the webbing on his finger.

Stewart was rushed to hospital for stitches which will see him spend couple of weeks on the sidelines. Gilbert came in swinging before he was bowled by Earl and when young Angus “Emu” Currell caught Snow off Darcy Baileys bowling, YOBS were 7 for 97.

Hawks bowlers continued to bowl great lines; Angus Currell, 5 overs 0 for 22; Darcy Bailey, 5 overs 2 for 18 and Darcy Currell 1 over none for 6; they all showed the future of the Hawks is bright. It was stand in skipper Earl, who was the pick of the bowlers with 9 overs, 4 for 18 in his return to the Nest.

The run chase didnt start as the Hawks would have liked, with Aeodhan Bailey dismissed on the second ball of the innings; 1 for none. Dave Morris joined Earl at the crease and they put on 19 before Morris was out for 7. Ed Cotter joined his skipper and these two put on 30 for the third wicket until Earl was caught at point for 38.

Cotter went with the score on 61 and when Bailey, Jarvis and Thomas were all back in the pavilion, the Hawks were teetering at 7 for 72.

Darcy Currell looked confident in the middle with 7 runs, and will have family bragging rights over Emu Currell, (3), for most runs for the weekend.

And when Bailey number three, Nathan, was dismissed, Hawks were all out for 98 in another oh so close result for the B grade.

The Hawks C grade side assembled at their home ground of Gloucester Park to host the Nannup Tigers under overcast and breezy conditions.

C grade captain Danny Weston lost the toss in slightly controversial circumstances with Nannup captain Peter Bresser appearing to call tails after the coin had already landed tail-side up.

As a result the Hawks were sent into bat. Unfortunately Nannup could only manage 8 players so, in a show of sportsmanship Weston volunteered three #futurehawks.

Club President Alastair Wilkie and stalwart Michael Sorensen opened the innings for the Hawks and appeared to have the Nannup bowlers measure. The openers were cruising along before Sorensen was dismissed for a smart 21 from 23 balls with the score at 1-34 in the 7th over.

This brought vice-captain Tristan Mugford to the crease and, as could be expected, a downturn in the run rate.

The Wilkie-Mugford combination only advanced the score by 11 runs before a slightly misjudged hook shot saw the end of the President for 19 with the score at 2-45 in the 9th over.

Captain Weston joined Mugford at the crease and the captain and his lieutenant went about steadying the Hawks ship.

This pair managed to bat through until drinks with the score at 2-81 after 20 overs. Following the drinks break, Nannup failed to take another wicket with Weston playing a masterful captains knock with an unbeaten 96 from 94 deliveries.

Mugford finished with a “patient” 45 not out from an irrelevant number of balls and a picket fence so long it disappeared over the horizon.

The Hawks posted a competitive 2-192 from their 40 overs.

The younger players in the side were rewarded for their assistance in the field for Nannup by turning around and heading straight back out to field for the Hawks.

Gun quick Joel Lawrance was handed the new rock by Weston and opened the bowling from the southern end with the breeze at his back.

Lawrence struck early with the first wicket falling in the first over with Sam Robins appearing to cover about a hectare of ground to take a beautiful catch.

Mark Jones opened from the other end and unfortunately injured his hand and left the field in his first over, he then returned and took a wicket in his second over.

Lawrence took a second wicket in his 3rd over and finished with 2-22 from his 6 overs.

Young speedster Sam Robbins came on to replace Lawrence and combined brilliantly with Chinaman bowler-turned-expert gloveman Harvey Fisher to dismiss 2 Nannup batsmen caught behind. Malakai Wholagan came on and took a handy 2-20 from his 4 overs.

The dynamic duo of Robins and Fisher recombined to run out Nannups last batsman and win the game, Tigers dismissed for 82 from 23.1 overs. – Tristan “Pickets” Mugford

[contf] [contfnew]

Margaret River Mail

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Related Articles

Back to top button