Fiery Hawks turn up the heat on Pies | Photos

Fiery Hawks turn up the heat on Pies | Photos

The Busselton Magpies travelled south to Gloucester Park on Saturday to take on the Augusta Margaret River Hawks for round sevens Busselton Toyota Cup. The young Hawks side was keen to secure a home ground win after a painful loss to the Eaton Boomers last week, while the Magpies arrived on the back of a win over Harvey Brunswick Leschenault in round six.

The first quarter started positively for the visitors, the first to touch the scoreboard with a goal early in the term before AMRs Tim Noakes reposnded with the first of many goals for his side.

It wasnt long before the Southern rivalry bared its teeth, both teams squaring up as Jack Hick and Brody Plozza exchanged a few words.

The distraction reflected in the score as the quarter ended with just two goals apiece, despite plenty of energy being expended on both sides.

Strong appearances from Busseltons Jackson Arbon, Ben Luscombe and Ben Campbell had little effect on the likes of Mitch and Jacob Payne while Hick and Noakes stood ready to convert their efforts.

Busseltons defence did what they could as the Hawks began to pull away, throwing themselves at the ball to slow down the pace and restrict the Hawks to a handful of points amongst their two goals for the quarter.

The rest of the quarter was a stop-start affair as the two sides battled aggression and frustration, with opportunities lost at either end of the ground.

Bailey Sanford scored the Magpies only major for the term with a tidy goal to bring the margin back to seven points, before a dust up between Arbon and Hawk Danny Wolfenden brought play to a stop once again.

The rest of the quarter was a stop-start affair as the two sides battled aggression and frustration, with opportunities lost at either end of the ground. Mitch Payne continued to stamp his authority on the game with a couple of attempts early in the third before Luke Furlong carried the ball deep into the Hawks territory and into the hands of Payne, who collected the goal.

Plozza worked hard alongside fellow Magpie Jon Meadmore to run the ball out of danger but continued to run into Ben Gerrans and Beau Morgan at every turn, the visitors running out of steam as the third progressed. A few mistakes by the Hawks gave Busselton a chance or two, but AMRs four goal quarter seemed too much for the boys in black and white, only managing a single major score from a handful of attempts to see them 31 points behind.

Noakes and Hick continued the onslaught early in the fourth quarter, ably assisted by Mitch Lynn, once again powerful through the midfield. But it wasnt long before Busselton kicked it up a gear, finding the energy and accuracy they had lacked for much of the game to remind the Hawks that their lead, although assured by that time, would be in danger had there been a few more minutes in the match.

Four goals to the visitors – while keeping the Hawks to just one major and a flurry of points – and a few big efforts from Liam Creighton and Harvey Golding, brought the margin back to 18 points

Final Scores Augusta Margaret River 10.11-71 Busselton 8.5-53

Busselton will now take on Donnybrook at Bovell Park in round eight, while the Hawks will travel to Kelly Park to meet Carey Park on Sunday.

Hawks end Pies control in Colts

The Augusta Margaret River Hawks have ended the Busselton Magpies Colts sides undefeated run.

The Hawks dominated early with a seven goal first quarter, in which they kept the Pies scoreless.

In the second, the young Maggies were able to notch up three goals but the Hawks added four more to their total.

The Hawks went into the major break leading 11.2.68 to 3.2.20.

Busselton surged in the third quarter, scoring three majors and keeping Augusta Margaret River to just two points for the term.

However, the damage was done in the first quarter and the Pies strong second half wasnt enough, going down to their rival 12.5.77 to 8.9.57.

Joshua Lee finished with three to his name and Joshua Wright scored two majors.

In the Reserves, Busselton had a solid win over Augusta Margaret River.

The Pies took the lead early with 3.4.22 to 2.1.13 in the first quarter.

A five goal second term saw their lead extend to 8.9.57 to 4.1.25.

The Hawks kept the Maggies to one goal in the third, bring the margin to 26 points.

In the fourth, the Pies added another three to their total while the Hawks managed just one more major for the game.

The final result was a 37 point victory for Busselton, finishing with 12.12.84 to 7.5.47.

[contf] [contfnew]

Margaret River Mail

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button