Hawks fall to Eaton

Hawks fall to Eaton

It was an unpredictable round seven match when the Augusta Margaret River Hawks travelled up to Eaton to take on the Boomers.

The two teams were on equal points going into the round which meant a lot was on the line to stay in contention of the top three.

The weather didnt help the match, however wind a rain is not stranger to the Hawks.

The Hawks started well, kicking three goals and five behinds while the Boomers struggled to keep it in their forward 50.

Eaton only managed one point for the first quarter.

At the first break, Augusta Margaret River Hawks coach Matt Jamieson said the team did not make the most of their chances as they could of been six goals in front.

He said to make sure they were not playing for themselves for as a team.

In the second term the home side had the advantage of the breeze and kicked all the goals for the quarter.

Eatons goals for the quarter went to Brandon Jetta, Connor Gadecki and Matthew Scott.

The Hawks were unable to put anything on the scoreboard with the half time score 4.4(28) to 3.5(23).

Augusta Margaret River knew they needed to make the most of the breeze in the third quarter and came out firing with a quick goal from Luke Furlong.

The next passage of play saw Eatons Brandon Jetta lay a great tackle which resulted in a goal for the home side.

Eatons Heath Ryder had a stella quarter as he was getting involved in almost every contest and kicking a goal as well.

Furlong was able to match Ryders intensity as well help even the math up with a goal.

The third quarter was a tight contest, making it hard to know who would come out on top at the last siren.

Hawks Mitchell Payne kicked the next goal to help his sides push for the lead.

Eatons Micheal Thompson quickly replied with a goal which resulted in another lead change.

Boomers gave away a 50 metre penalty at the centre bounce which resulted in a goal from Augusta Margaret Rivers Harrison Morgan.

It was tit for tat right before the siren as Hawks Matthew Jukes kicked a goal which was closely followed by a goal from Eatons Mitchell Kings.

It was anyones game at the last break with the score 8.5(53) to 8.7(55).

At the three quarter time huddle, Eaton coach Brett Maguire told his side to not rely on the breeze to win.

He said that the opposition were only defending well as a group, so if they were able to spread the play out Eaton would win the one on one contests.

The start of the last quarter saw the Hawks give away a 50 metre penalty to allow Eatons Scott Tynan to kick the first goal and regain the lead for his side.

Augusta Margaret River were able to reply with a quick major from Jukes.

It was a tight contest for a few minutes with both teams able to keep it in their forward lines long enough to score.

The next goal did come from Scott which sealed the game for an Eaton win.

Eaton were able to run away with it in the end, finishing with a five goal lead.

The final score was 14..8(92) to 9.7(61).

Jukes was the only player for the Hawks to kick multiple goals with three in total.

Best players on the day were Mitchell Flynn, Ben Gerrans and Jacob Payne.

Augusta Margaret River sit fifth on the ladder, only three percentage points behind South Bunbury.

The Hawks will be back in round seven and will be facing their arch rivals the Busselton Magpies.

The Magpies will be feeling confident going into this round after a 17 point win against Harvey Brunswick Leschenault.

Busselton are also sitting on the same amount of points as the Hawks as well as three other teams, so a win for the home side will be vital to keep their season alive.

[contf] [contfnew]

Margaret River Mail

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button