SuperSport dumped out of CAF Confed Cup

Cape Town – SuperSport United failed to qualify for the CAF Confederation Cup group stages after losing to Gor Mahia on away goals rule in the play-off round.

The hosts made a bright start and went close to breaking the deadlock on the quarter-hour mark when Sipho Mbule blazed over the crossbar following good work from Onismor Bhasera to fashion to create an opening.

They threatened again through Dylan Stoffels, who got his attempt on target, but Gor keeper Boniface Oluoch was equal to the task. Thabo Mnyamane was next to test Oluoch just before the half-hour mark with a free-kick just that was comfortably saved.

Dylan Kerr's men had done most of the defending in the first half, but they wasted a good opportunity to seize control on 42 minutes when Bernard Ondiek missed the target after finding himself unmarked.

Mnyamane was a whisker away from making the breakthrough on the stroke of half-time with a curling effort from the edge of the box that clipped the top of the crossbar.

Matsatsantsa quickly got into their stride after the restart and after Stoffels forced Oluoch into a sharp save at close range on 52 minutes, an own-goal from Haron Shakava in the 60th minute levelled the tie.

However, their lead lasted just one minute as Francis Kahata hit back for the visitors when SuperSport switched off at the back.

Mnyamane finally had the beating of Oluoch, though, when he drilled a shot beyond the Kenyan gloveman to give the Tshwane outfit the lead on the night and 2-2 on aggregate in the two-legged tie.

SuperSport piled on the pressure in the final 20 minutes and Oluoch was called on to keep out efforts from Mnyamane and Darrel Smith, before Reyaad Pieterse pulled off a superb save to deny Kahata his brace on 82 minutes.

The woodwork came to K'Ogalo's rescue at the death when Mnyamane lined up a shot from distance that came back off the post to cruelly deny the Premiership club passage into the next round.

Related Articles

Back to top button